Sunday, February 9, 2014

Apricot-Almond Bars

You know what are really tasty? LÄRABARs. I recently discovered them and kind of fell in love. They’re a blend of unsweetened fruits, nuts and spices, and they’re amazing. Plus, they’re healthy and gluten-free, if you care about that kind of thing.

My favorite thing about LaraBars is how simple they are. They generally have somewhere between 3 to 6 ingredients… and that’s it. Compared with a long list of *I can’t pronounce the name* ingredients usually found on granola bars, it’s a breath of fresh air.

After chowing down on one the other day, I realized that I could most definitely make bars like this myself. Or I could at least try! I found a recipe with similar ingredients and gave it a go. 


Here’s what you’ll need 


  • 1 cup dried apricots
  • 1/2 cup dates
  • 1/4 cup almond butter
  • 1/2 cup almonds
  • 1/2 cup slivered almonds
  • 1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes



Here's what you do


1. Spread coconut and slivered almonds on a parchment-lined baking sheet, bake for 5-7 minutes at 350 F or until lightly browned. This will give them a yummy toasted flavor.


2. Add apricots, dates, almond butter and almonds to a food processor. Process until ingredients come together and form a ball. Remove the ball and place into a bowl.

3. Add in the toasted coconut and almonds, then mush it all together using your hands (that’s the fun part).


4. Flatten mixture into a 9x9 baking dish lined with plastic wrap using your already messy hands, then put the dish into the freezer for 15 minutes to let it set.


5. Grab the plastic wrap and remove bars from the dish, cut into 12 bars.

6. EAT THEM! They’re so good, and will stay best if you keep them in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.


Note: I realized shortly after I had finished making the bars that I accidentally used dried dates instead of regular dates… don’t do this. Your bars will crumble. Lesson to me about reading instructions carefully!

These bars are great to have on hand when hanger (definition of hangry: when one becomes angry from extreme hunger) strikes. It's a real problem. 

Click here for the direct source

No comments:

Post a Comment