Monday, February 24, 2014

PALEOMG Pizza Spaghetti Pie

I keep up with a lot of food blogs, many of which are Paleo and almost all of which have mentioned PaleoOMG's Pizza Spaghetti Pie and raved about it. I've put off trying it out for the longest time because of my wariness about spaghetti squash, but I'm so glad I finally decided to make it. My bar was set high and it was totally met.

My first reaction after making it was wondering why on Earth I had never tried spaghetti squash before... It's seriously the most fun vegetable I've ever encountered. Yes, a fun vegetable. Not "fun" like my mom told me husking corn was, or how the quiet game is "fun" for all babysitters... but actually really fun.


It's a squash, then it's noodles. This video is a pretty close approximation to my reaction the first time I tried it out. I plan on looking up more ways to use spaghetti squash, just so I can scoop out the noodles again.


But even if you aren't Paleo or you don't get excited about vegetables like I do, this recipe is damn good. It was so simple and saves in the fridge quite well, which makes for easy leftovers! Yay laziness.


What you'll need:

  • 1 large spaghetti squash
  • 1 lb Italian sausage
  • 1/2 onion (diced)
  • 1 cup pizza sauce 
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil, plus any other seasonings you might like to add (garlic powder, rosemary, thyme, salt, pepper, etc)
  • 3 eggs
  • optional but recommended: fresh basil, cheese, veggies, really anything you want- get creative!


What you need to do:

1. Preheat the oven to 400 F (You know how I feel about this... don't forget it!)

2. Follow the instructions in this video on how to properly cut a spaghetti squash; it's only important if you don't want to lose a limb... and while you're at it, bookmark her blog, she's one of my favorite foodies.

3. THE FUN PART!!! It's noodle time. Take a fork to the squash and let the magic happen, placing the noodles in a greased 8x8 baking dish as you go.


4. Put the Italian sausage and diced onions in a pan over medium heat until the meat is browned. (If it's not 100% cooked all the way through, that's ok, it will continue cooking in the oven)


5. Add spices and pizza sauce to the pan and mix well, then pour the meat mixture into the 8x8 dish with the noodles. Mix!


6. Lastly, add the whisked eggs and anything you might want (cheese, basil, veggies) in your pie and mix it all up again.


7. Bake in the oven for 1 hour- there should be little crispies on top when it's done.


8. Nom nom nom. It's not the prettiest dish, but it's delicious and nutritious. Enjoy!




Video goodie of the day: I was reminiscing about my time in Paris and this video was oddly satisfying when I needed a good laugh. For all you 90s kids, this one is for you. And I guess everyone else too, cause everyone loves the Spice Girls...

2 comments:

  1. This looks so good! Now I'm going to have to start a hardcore search for spaghetti squash in Scotland...haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! Definitely going to try this (minus the sausage)...thanks linds! :)

    ReplyDelete