Friday, February 21, 2014

Ba-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na BREAD!

Sorry not sorry for the pun. 


Banana bread has always been my thing. I brought it to almost every potluck I attended when I was younger and everyone who tried it raved about it. That is, everyone except the adults who heard the ingredient list... specifically, the cup and a half of sugar in each loaf (yes, a CUP AND A HALF). It was one of those "holy shit I can't believe I just ate that, I feel like I'm going to explode" kind of foods. But when you're a kid, that doesn't really exist.

Now that I've grown an actual set of taste buds and have realized that things can be naturally sweet, I wanted to find a new way to re-live this childhood indulgence of mine without the sugar overload.  

I've tried a few recipes, but the one posted here is by far my favorite. It's surprisingly close in taste to the sugar-loaded banana bread I ate as a kid, but has no added sweeteners! All you have to do is let your bananas ripen to that gross looking, "should I throw these out?" stage, and they'll be sweet enough to satisfy!

This is my favorite kind of recipe; the "mix it all together, then cook it" kind. So easy. 

What you'll need:

  • 4 bananas, mashed
  • 4 eggs
  • 1/2 cup almond butter 
  • 4 tablespoons coconut oil, melted (or butter)
  • 1/2 cup coconut flour (or almond flour)
  • 1 tablespoon cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder 
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • pinch of sea salt
  • optional (but recommended): 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
  • optional (but highly recommended): 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips


What you need to do: 


1. Set your oven to 350 F. (I always forget this, then have to wait for it to heat up... so annoying)

2. Use a blender or hand mixer to blend together the mashed bananas, melted butter, almond butter, and eggs. 

3. Add the coconut flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, vanilla, and nutmeg; then use your blender to mix it all up again. 

(4.) Add in the chocolate chips and chopped walnuts, if you want (... do it).

5. Do you want a loaf or muffins? If a loaf, pour the batter in a greased pan and cook for 55-60 minutes if it's a glass pan and 35-40 minutes if it's a metal pan. If you want muffins (side note: I tell myself that portion control will be easier if I make muffins, but that's only if I can limit myself to one muffin... easier said than done with these babies), pour them in a muffin tray with paper liners and bake for 35-40 minutes. 

6. Do the toothpick test (or my way, the "eat one to test it" method), then you're done! Enjoy not only the taste of these beauties, but the way they will make your home smell. It smells like a job well done.  


Note #1: Coconut flour can be expensive if you buy it at the grocery store, but if you have Amazon Prime (or a friend with it...) and don't mind waiting a few days, you can get a much better deal online, here

Note #2: Almond butter can also be a little tricky. Try to avoid the brands that add sugar to their almond butter.. it kind of defeats the purpose. I like to buy mine from Whole Foods, where you can freshly grind it yourself! Then, you can be sure there is nothing else added to it. Plus the little machine makes me feel powerful. 

These are easy, delicious, and a little addicting... see for yourself!

Video goodie of the day: Look at these goats, just messin' around.... what a bunch of kids. 



Source for batnana picture.
Original banana bread recipe from Civilized Caveman Cooking.


No comments:

Post a Comment